Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Surviving on Turkish Figs

You guessed it... The mythical Turkish figs!
Hello my lovely readers!
I feel extremely guilty of not having had the time to post recently.
Some may even have wondered... Where has Porteñita been?

The short answer: I have been missing in action, surviving on Turkish figs mostly.

They are, by the way, the world's most wondrous figs.... sweet, rich, fleshy, with honey-like sweetness and a hint of berry-taste, this fruit is so perfect on its own, it is intimidating to include it in recipes or sauces and thus runs its very own show, fresh and free of artifice or embellishments. As a curiosity... Did you know that figs are actually not just a fruit, but an inverted flower? The dusty, blush-pink interior is a collection of unopened blooms delicately folded to fit inside the purple raindrop-shaped pouch containing the seeds.

Anyway... The real answer is that this summer has had so many fun things going on, and not enough time to do it all!
For sure, the season has been peppered with the usual gatherings and "adventuring" escapades with friends, a few outdoor parties, the multiple visits to the wooded trails in the area, and swimming in the clear, cool waters of my favorite lake. Most recently, though, I had the opportunity to see Coldplay when they were here in the Twin Cities, right before the band went across the pond and back home to the UK.

Photo by Marisa Wojcik
Frankly, mainstream concerts and soft-rock bands with their mid-tempo pop tunes and shiny bright sounds are not really my top music interests. I tend to have a much stronger affinity for the indie-pop and indie-rock with  -invariably- a penchant for Canadian bands... but nonetheless, I would not turn down a great invitation to a Coldplay concert. Aside the very smooth performance on stage and the pleasant tunes, what struck me the most was the loads of energy and athletic condition boasted by Chris Martin. Seriously! Plus, the band gets bonus points for playing a few songs at the far end of the floor, among a sea of fans.

The estival season has also presented me with the opportunity to do meaningful work and to learn from so many people. My favorite project was putting on a community event attended by 400+ people and being able to work with a local advertising agency that did some top notch creative work!

The summer has indeed been hectic, but now that the beginning of school is round the corner, I should be able to have a more consistent presence again. 


September is only a few days away, and this Fall has brought to me the chance to compete in a culinary contest. Yes! that's right! I'm really looking forward to it, it will be so much fun! So, if you live in the Twin Cities and have a rather slow Saturday afternoon and don't mind trying delicious food at a very hip location downtown... you should come check out this foodie event. I will be posting up details later on.... although I have to admit that I'm keeping my contest entry a secret for now! All I can tell you is... the recipe will not have Turkish figs!

See you all soon! And stay tuned for upcoming recipes!

2 comments:

  1. This is downright shameful but.... well, I've never ever had a Turkish fig. I've never had an Armenian Fig, a Duluthian Fig, a Minneapolis fig, or an Ethiopian fig either. We can still be friends, right? RIGHT?

    I'm also VERY curious to know which lake is your favorite lake and if you've explored the wooded trails of Woodlake Nature center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi El Chris! This is hilarious: I've JUST left a comment on your blog. We're living up to the hype of the cyber community! Don't worry about never having tried figs before! I hadn't tried figs either until this post... and my crime was worse, coz when I was a little girl, we used to have a fig tree in the backyard.
    As to the lakes... hmmm it's so hard to just pick one! My fave used to be Lake Harriet, but lately I'm all for Cedar Lake. It has a more counter-culture personality than all the other city lakes, you know? It;s shrouded in mystery, plus it;s in Bryan Mawr. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete